Skip to main content

Shouts & Murmurs as published in New Yorker

Shouts & Murmurs
As published in the New Yorker

By Dan Patch & Lola Nation

Future Move

She suggested that with the inheritance from her step-father and my recent lottery winnings we move to Alaska, kidnapping her ex lover’s daughter, she’d keep house and I’d be a crab fisherman.   I could claim she’s my half-wit sister and get to work with my hands and we could tell stories to the locals which would impress them and build a following we’re use to while living a normal life.

I have a psychic gift and foretell the future for her.


Here, look into the crystal ball

It’s cold, wet and dark.

She can see I’m having a hard time writing this because I’m missing some fingers (because that’s what happens to fingers on boats).  I’m kind of drunk too.  I started drinking when I lost the first finger, so, like 4 or 5 fingers ago.

I got sick of the tweaker-eskimo neighbor parking his truck in my spot.  Every day I told him “one igloo, one spot!”

It wasn’t long before I took my shot using six and a half fingers (not bad!) at the Eskimo bastard, with his three Suzuki Samurai's he's been restoring forever, right through his igloo living room window.

The bullet went through the skinny tweaker-eskimo (it's just a big fur coat) and out the back igloo window, down the Igloo Street, and hit the 1 postal worker in the igloo post office/99 cent store. She worked there 45 years, back when it was a Dime store, blue chip stamps n' all- you could get a canoe!

I’m sure you heard it on the news; they said- "City folk move here and go postal" (you shoot 1 postal worker...shit).

Me and a 40oz Zima? That's malt liquor trouble... with a twist of lime. Who knew Alaska was the only place that still sold Zima? Maybe it's brewed in Norway now? Brewed, however it's made, what is that shit anyway, like schizophrenic 7up?.

My Capri light 100 falls out of my good hand (with 3 fingers, ok 2 and a thumb) as I take off on my 85 Honda Elite scooter (the 250cc red one with corvette flip headlight...hell yeah!  Held open with duct tape).

The first turn I took I hit that black ice shit. I've heard about it on youtube but never seen it in real life. I was wide open doing 18+ mph when I crashed head first into a snow bank. Stuck head first in snow I never really thought about polar bears. Didn't we kill them all off with the Indians? Like she said we did unicorns n' stuff.

 Anyway, alive but face down, ass up, that's the way I like to...be eaten alive by a giant prehistoric bear!

She said, “Let’s all live in a dark frozen place where giant bears live” Sure lady, good idea. That’s like living in Florida (need I say more?).

I would of made that turn with just one more finger I bet. I would of been saved in the "big city" even if I was just a head on a box with a bunch of tubes running from it. The local Dr/Postal worker/Snow plow driver was not available for some reason, so my head still alive head (like when kids are found in swimming pools after an hour and are still alive... from the cold or whatever?)  Just froze solid in the snow.

The local Sheriff said the last thing the half frozen head mumbled was “Damn you Deadliest catch...Damn all the Tattoo shows. No that's a flower not a gang tattoo! I have a..ne...ck?"

The Sheriff told local news:  "That's what them Zima drinkin' scooter stealing' felonious addicts get!" and to call the local Sheriff/plumber/Gun shop if you are missing a head... or a scooter. 

The crystal ball begins to cloud up and I tell her, maybe Florida, I know zombies run real fast now, rape homeless guys and eat face meats but how fast do alligators run or do they have crocodiles?

She said she’d get back to me on that note.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seymour the Fighter Fish

The betta fish has been flotsam for about a week now, maybe longer. I don’t know why I keep putting fish food in the goldfish bowl, but I do. It sinks to the bottom in rainbow colors till like all promises of nurture, disappears into the tiny rocks, pebbles, stepping stones of our aquarium filled lives. I rationalize that my fish was just another small import from Asia to fascinate the cubicle dwellers in envious color, a fad, a pet rock like fad. Just another way for us to house cockfights at our desk and think of it as humane, not a big deal, after all they’re just Siamese fighting fish. If I’d had two pit bulls I’m pretty sure I would’ve gotten fired sooner. Maybe I should have had two pit bulls, they’re expected to fight, kill kill kill. What’s the difference? I shouldn’t have exposed my gambling problem. I have an urge to dramatically pick up the goldfish bowl that houses the dead bloated body of Seymour the Siamese Fight Fish Champion and smash it in all his glory against the k

Gammoned

The shower was running, Parker could see steam come from underneath the door. She had to pee. “Sam, hurry up, I gotta pee.” “Just a minute.” The shower droned on. She went to the kitchen and smoked a cigarette. Her window faced the west. She was watching the traffic go by, inevitably from the beach or to the beach, on this warm day. The cigarette was out. She got up and changed shirts into a tank top.  She was done waiting for Sam to get out of the bathroom. “Sam! Goddamnit! I have to pee!” When he didn’t reply she pounded on the door. Nothing. Well, he’d been in there long enough to drown. She waited a few more minutes while smoking another cigarette. The urgency of needing to urinate won and she knocked on the door again.  Nothing. He had looked sweaty when he came over and the racing gloves in 80 degree weather was a little ridiculous for driving a 1970s BMW around, its alternator was out and he had to constantly rev the engine and use the brake at the same time

Expiration Date (1/15/2021)

  More fountains than Paris and less than Rome, We sipped vodka and trailed along conversation lines. You feel the wire tap, make excuses while you try to dial back the attention span. In the bedroom, you felt sick. Slept next to me, intermittently sighing, I felt your sadness through the alarm this morning, You slammed cranberry vodkas, one after another and made me coffee.    You blur when I’m wide awake. Who found out What Your breath heaves in  exhales long, tumbling downhill. I ask too much. You make no sense. I am left in this prison  we play house in and call home. You fill the air with nervous conversation. Highlight promises, loose bows knotted  in thin air, too much pull unravels it alll.    I hold my breath while you wait. Walking home in pitch black, the snow  falls at my feet, my hands ice cold, you listen to music, staring ahead and stuck behind. I unlock the door and you make excuses like origami, fragile and pretty. You claim stake for sleep. I take a long bath, pruning