Skip to main content

Chiggars

Tony says, “don’t sit on the grass, you  might get chiggers.”  Chiggers cause giggles, why that sounds ridiculous. 
“What are chiggers?”  I ask. 
“They are kind of like ticks, they crawl under your skin and make you itch really bad until they die.” 

 This fascinates me.  We walk through the church garden, past the roses, into a ivy lined gazebo.
 “How long does it take for them to die?”  I ask like a curious child.
 “A couple of days.”  He tells me. 
I continue on the subject matter.  The thought of bugs crawling under skin itching and scratching for a couple of days just because I sat in grass consumes me.  My arm starts to itch. 
“Tony!  I think I have a jigger.”  I tell him. 
“No, Lola, you aren’t fishing, they’re called chiggers.”  He says in his calm tone that declares he’s clearly annoyed with the chigger questions, but I’m not done yet. 
I have recently discovered my obsession compulsion disorder and I think that this falls under the category.  When I was a kid and would see a car accident; I had to know what happened.  I’d ask my parents as we drove by a wreckage “what happened car? What happened car?”  If they didn’t tell me the chant would continue until they would either make up a story or hush me with the typical “Damn it, Lola!”  And if I was really annoying it was “GOD damn it, Lola!”  I just wanted to know what happened car
Back to chiggers.  “I don’t believe such bugs exist and that you can’t see them, how can you not see them, I want to see one.”  I tell him.  I am staring down at the grass. Surely one will appear. 
“No, they are like mites.”  He tells me. 
“Why aren’t they in beds then?”  He shakes his head.  He attempts to dissuade me from the chiggers and we walk somewhere else, I keep moving him to my left side. 
“Why do you keep moving me to the left?” 
I tell him I have to walk on the right side of people. 
Or, in the middle if there are three people. 
If I can’t walk in the middle between the two other people,
            I can walk on the right, if they won’t let me,
I will walk backward or behind.  If he won’t let me walk on the right side of him, I will have to walk ahead to the right of him or behind him.  He looks at me sideways and lets me go forward to the right. 
“So these chiggers…”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gammoned

The shower was running, Parker could see steam come from underneath the door. She had to pee. “Sam, hurry up, I gotta pee.” “Just a minute.” The shower droned on. She went to the kitchen and smoked a cigarette. Her window faced the west. She was watching the traffic go by, inevitably from the beach or to the beach, on this warm day. The cigarette was out. She got up and changed shirts into a tank top.  She was done waiting for Sam to get out of the bathroom. “Sam! Goddamnit! I have to pee!” When he didn’t reply she pounded on the door. Nothing. Well, he’d been in there long enough to drown. She waited a few more minutes while smoking another cigarette. The urgency of needing to urinate won and she knocked on the door again.  Nothing. He had looked sweaty when he came over and the racing gloves in 80 degree weather was a little ridiculous for driving a 1970s BMW around, its alternator was out and he had to constantly rev the engine and use the brake at the same time

Seymour the Fighter Fish

The betta fish has been flotsam for about a week now, maybe longer. I don’t know why I keep putting fish food in the goldfish bowl, but I do. It sinks to the bottom in rainbow colors till like all promises of nurture, disappears into the tiny rocks, pebbles, stepping stones of our aquarium filled lives. I rationalize that my fish was just another small import from Asia to fascinate the cubicle dwellers in envious color, a fad, a pet rock like fad. Just another way for us to house cockfights at our desk and think of it as humane, not a big deal, after all they’re just Siamese fighting fish. If I’d had two pit bulls I’m pretty sure I would’ve gotten fired sooner. Maybe I should have had two pit bulls, they’re expected to fight, kill kill kill. What’s the difference? I shouldn’t have exposed my gambling problem. I have an urge to dramatically pick up the goldfish bowl that houses the dead bloated body of Seymour the Siamese Fight Fish Champion and smash it in all his glory against the k

2020 Commencement Speech from Lola Nation

I want to thank the board of directors of whatever committee got together and sent me a formal invite to give this commencement speech on the graduating class here at your fine academy this year of 2020.   I don’t know if it’s like the Grammy’s, but the person you give the achievement award to, is not the person most deserving, or even first on the list but a fifth to tenth option that is elected upon after the more deserving and better suited performers politely decline, I did not decline, I accepted and here we are at the end of 2020 and you’re getting a speech from a person who was so smart, she went to an “online school”, in person.  (It was accredited!)   I completed all the credits to receive a bachelor’s degree in business management, but disputed a random administrative fee which placed a hold on my graduation ceremony and certificate and now, $150 and sixteen years later, my background report makes me sound like a liar and idiot to potential employers.   Regardless, my initial