Skip to main content

How Evangelism Helped My Family


Jerry, my cousin, was a truck driver.  At some point my Aunt Margie and my Grandma, whom they called Money because as a child Aunt Margie was too stupid to say Mommy, I always thought it was because she was like a bank for everyone, talked Jerry into driving them up to Oregon to see Oral Roberts.  They were avid television watchers of his show and they were convinced that if he slapped them in the forehead, they would be HEALED!

                So, they went.  I stayed home and watched her dog named Snuskin Rouskin.  Which in some former Russian country means “precious one.”  I always debated who my Grandmother loved most, the dog, myself or my cousin who was constantly gaining my inheritance by needing bail money.  She told me it was okay, his ship would come in soon and we waited and waited for that ship.   No matter how many times I went to Marina Del Rey for brunch with my parents and watched the docks and dining liners circle, I never saw George’s ship.

                When my aunt, cousin and grandmother returned Jerry told us what the experience was like.  

                “So, we’re walking in from the parking lot and your aunt says, I’m gonna ask him to heal me so I won’t want a drink anymore.  Your grandmother says she’s gonna ask him to cure her hearing so she won’t need hearing aids anymore.”  He takes a swig of pepsi and has his shit eating grin on.  Jerry’s grin was always shit eating; it was something he just couldn’t help.

                “So, after they get hit in the head and fall down, we leave.   In the parking lot, on the way back to the truck your aunt is saying ‘God I need a drink.’ And  your Grandmother is replying, ‘What?’?  Over and over again the whole way home.”

                At the age of seven, I knew this was funny.  

                It’s still funny.

                And this story, true, is not even close to the tip of the iceberg.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gammoned

The shower was running, Parker could see steam come from underneath the door. She had to pee. “Sam, hurry up, I gotta pee.” “Just a minute.” The shower droned on. She went to the kitchen and smoked a cigarette. Her window faced the west. She was watching the traffic go by, inevitably from the beach or to the beach, on this warm day. The cigarette was out. She got up and changed shirts into a tank top.  She was done waiting for Sam to get out of the bathroom. “Sam! Goddamnit! I have to pee!” When he didn’t reply she pounded on the door. Nothing. Well, he’d been in there long enough to drown. She waited a few more minutes while smoking another cigarette. The urgency of needing to urinate won and she knocked on the door again.  Nothing. He had looked sweaty when he came over and the racing gloves in 80 degree weather was a little ridiculous for driving a 1970s BMW around, its alternator was out and he had to constantly rev the engine and use the brake at the same time

Seymour the Fighter Fish

The betta fish has been flotsam for about a week now, maybe longer. I don’t know why I keep putting fish food in the goldfish bowl, but I do. It sinks to the bottom in rainbow colors till like all promises of nurture, disappears into the tiny rocks, pebbles, stepping stones of our aquarium filled lives. I rationalize that my fish was just another small import from Asia to fascinate the cubicle dwellers in envious color, a fad, a pet rock like fad. Just another way for us to house cockfights at our desk and think of it as humane, not a big deal, after all they’re just Siamese fighting fish. If I’d had two pit bulls I’m pretty sure I would’ve gotten fired sooner. Maybe I should have had two pit bulls, they’re expected to fight, kill kill kill. What’s the difference? I shouldn’t have exposed my gambling problem. I have an urge to dramatically pick up the goldfish bowl that houses the dead bloated body of Seymour the Siamese Fight Fish Champion and smash it in all his glory against the k

2020 Commencement Speech from Lola Nation

I want to thank the board of directors of whatever committee got together and sent me a formal invite to give this commencement speech on the graduating class here at your fine academy this year of 2020.   I don’t know if it’s like the Grammy’s, but the person you give the achievement award to, is not the person most deserving, or even first on the list but a fifth to tenth option that is elected upon after the more deserving and better suited performers politely decline, I did not decline, I accepted and here we are at the end of 2020 and you’re getting a speech from a person who was so smart, she went to an “online school”, in person.  (It was accredited!)   I completed all the credits to receive a bachelor’s degree in business management, but disputed a random administrative fee which placed a hold on my graduation ceremony and certificate and now, $150 and sixteen years later, my background report makes me sound like a liar and idiot to potential employers.   Regardless, my initial