Skip to main content

Writing Exercise 2007

I came here to write and write I shall.

There is a woman in black slacks, searching her quilted purse for a lighter, walking to her car, checking her messages, most likely from grandchildren who barely speak to her but to get her paycheck.  It’s 7:00 p.m., I always wonder when I’m staring out my downtown apartment who has to be at work so early or so late.  What benefit do they get?  Are they wearing monogramed watches?  Do they get perks?  Or are they subject to the jerks I’ve known my whole life.  She, who works well, with difficult people.

I got a blue writing desk.  

I have seven windows.

The last time I wrote for exercise was 2007, I was in the same city, in what was considered the Poet’s District.  Now, I live in the Library District.   Still alone, drinking cheap red wine, listening to alternative music that brings me down to my own level, missing you, ten years later and every version in between.

Fire escape and brick by mortar brick buildings surround me.  I am fireproof and lonely.
I am five stories high, always wondering what the jump would be like, my windows have no screen.  My silence has no scream.  My sirens have no dream.

Skip ad.
Next song.

There are cones down Baltimore Avenue, under construction.

The light on 11th turns green and there’s no one there to go.

Two more walk out from the building, onto the lot, striding like office stoners.  Maybe their day was long because they are slow.   He whips out a cigarette like he’s about to toss dice, lightening fast to light it, ignited.  His compatriot walks to the edge of the lot and waves goodbye.  We separate so easily at the end of the day.

All the windows in the old buildings have dripped.  Like tears in the buckets of old lady eyes, sinking through the cracks of age and seeping out the sides of their cheeks, where only sadness and laugh lines meet.

Today, I described my last relationship like opening a can of tuna.  You know, that scraping metal to open sound, circular and jagged.  You press the tin to the meat of it, drain it out and then leave it in the fridge, pushing it back in its container, further and further, because you aren’t as hungry as you thought you were.

The violin plays deeply, weepingly and the man in the alley is running hard, something he doesn’t own in hand and back pack bouncing – he is looking back the same way I use to when I thought of all the wrong I’d ever done to you.  Don’t pretend you know…who.  Fat and checkered, tired and weathered, the blonde, red armed mother walks to her car – another day and dollar and her children sit in front of a TV, playing on their game console while their fathers opening a PBR, everything always waits until she comes home.

Here I am.
Postcards from downtown.
Letters from Kansas City.
This is where you forced me-
This is where you left me-
No, wait, this is where I started
again, and think of it, I left and never even confided in you,
dear old, friend.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seymour the Fighter Fish

The betta fish has been flotsam for about a week now, maybe longer. I don’t know why I keep putting fish food in the goldfish bowl, but I do. It sinks to the bottom in rainbow colors till like all promises of nurture, disappears into the tiny rocks, pebbles, stepping stones of our aquarium filled lives. I rationalize that my fish was just another small import from Asia to fascinate the cubicle dwellers in envious color, a fad, a pet rock like fad. Just another way for us to house cockfights at our desk and think of it as humane, not a big deal, after all they’re just Siamese fighting fish. If I’d had two pit bulls I’m pretty sure I would’ve gotten fired sooner. Maybe I should have had two pit bulls, they’re expected to fight, kill kill kill. What’s the difference? I shouldn’t have exposed my gambling problem. I have an urge to dramatically pick up the goldfish bowl that houses the dead bloated body of Seymour the Siamese Fight Fish Champion and smash it in all his glory against the k

Gammoned

The shower was running, Parker could see steam come from underneath the door. She had to pee. “Sam, hurry up, I gotta pee.” “Just a minute.” The shower droned on. She went to the kitchen and smoked a cigarette. Her window faced the west. She was watching the traffic go by, inevitably from the beach or to the beach, on this warm day. The cigarette was out. She got up and changed shirts into a tank top.  She was done waiting for Sam to get out of the bathroom. “Sam! Goddamnit! I have to pee!” When he didn’t reply she pounded on the door. Nothing. Well, he’d been in there long enough to drown. She waited a few more minutes while smoking another cigarette. The urgency of needing to urinate won and she knocked on the door again.  Nothing. He had looked sweaty when he came over and the racing gloves in 80 degree weather was a little ridiculous for driving a 1970s BMW around, its alternator was out and he had to constantly rev the engine and use the brake at the same time

Expiration Date (1/15/2021)

  More fountains than Paris and less than Rome, We sipped vodka and trailed along conversation lines. You feel the wire tap, make excuses while you try to dial back the attention span. In the bedroom, you felt sick. Slept next to me, intermittently sighing, I felt your sadness through the alarm this morning, You slammed cranberry vodkas, one after another and made me coffee.    You blur when I’m wide awake. Who found out What Your breath heaves in  exhales long, tumbling downhill. I ask too much. You make no sense. I am left in this prison  we play house in and call home. You fill the air with nervous conversation. Highlight promises, loose bows knotted  in thin air, too much pull unravels it alll.    I hold my breath while you wait. Walking home in pitch black, the snow  falls at my feet, my hands ice cold, you listen to music, staring ahead and stuck behind. I unlock the door and you make excuses like origami, fragile and pretty. You claim stake for sleep. I take a long bath, pruning